It’s that time of year when students are let out of school for spring break, college students travel to foreign destinations to party with strangers, and parents have to find new means to keep the kids entertained while they still have to work. For an online student the last part is pretty similar. If you’re an online student, there is no spring break.
Just because your university won’t be shutting down for a week doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy some time off too.
The great thing about going to school online is the flexibility of classes. Whether you’ve signed up for new classes back to back this spring, you can still take a few days to enjoy the weather and bask in the freedom that other students are right now. If you have children, all the more reason to take a step back from work and school for a day to unwind and re-adjust. You don’t need to attend a traditional university to have your own spring break. Here are some ways to let loose without losing track of your work.
- Visit the beach. Depending on where you live, and if it’s still cool outside, you could take a daytrip to the beach and soak up some sun and unplug for a few hours.
- Take a food fieldtrip. Is there a restaurant you’ve been wanting to try but it’s an hour or so away? Jump in the car, or your transportation of choice, and enjoy a good meal.
- Relax indoors. Turn off your laptop, read a good book, and listen to the birds chirp.
- Be a tourist in your hometown. In a lot of cities there are historical areas you can visit that are right down the street from you. Make an itinerary, pack some coffee and explore things in your town you’ve overlooked before. Check out a museum, historic building, or an art gallery.
- Volunteer for a day. If philanthropy is your thing, this could be a great alternative to try. Check out your favorite charities to see if they have anything going on this week or the next, and where you can help you.
- Go shopping. This can be clothing, electronics, rare collectibles, you name it. Turn it into a hunt of sorts to keep it interesting.
Whatever you choose to do, don’t miss out on the season of “spring break.” Even when being an online student sometimes means you go to school year round, take time to enjoy the experience and create your own schedule that allows a much needed vacation of sorts from time to time.
– By J. Mason
Ready When You Are
At American Public University, students are priority one. We are committed to providing quality education, superior student resources, and affordable tuition. In fact, while post-secondary tuition has risen sharply nationwide, the university continues to offer affordable tuition without sacrificing academic quality.