Proper accreditation can mean the difference between a degree that gets you a new job and a certificate that isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on. If you have the right tools, you can check any online school’s accreditation status in less than a minute. Here’s how to find out if a school is accredited by an agency recognized by the United States Department of Education:
- Go to the U.S. Department of Education’s College Search Page.
- Enter in the name of the online school you would like to research. You do not need to enter information in any other field. Hit “search.”
- You will be shown a school or several schools that match your search criteria. Click on the school you are looking for.
- The selected school’s accreditation information will appear. Make sure this page is about the correct school by comparing the website, phone number, and address information you see at the top right with the information you already have.
- You can view the college’s institutional accreditation (for the whole school) or specialized accreditation (for departments within the school) on this page. Click on any accrediting agency for more information.
Note: You may also use the Council for Higher Education Accreditation’s website to search for both CHEA and USDE recognized accreditors or to view a chart comparing CHEA and USDE recognition .