Students under pressure tend to feel the squeeze when studying complex course material. Sometimes this requires being locked up in a quiet room with minimal distractions. For some the thought of complete silence can be a distraction in itself, and they resign themselves to the home office or kitchen table to study for class. Regardless of your study presence there are a few items to keep out of reach and out of your mind.
Making a list is a good way to go when trying to eliminate distraction from routine activities. If you’re not a list maker, create a fun graphic or drawing and pin it to the central locale that you congregate in while getting started on classwork. There’s always the option of making the list into your desktop image. Keep these items in mind when it’s time to study:
- Extraneous electronic devices; cell phone, tablet or eReader (unless you’re reading for class), and handheld gaming systems.
- Magazines or “fun” reading materials. This includes fashion magazines, scientific publications, consumer reporting, and gaming magazines.
- Chores. Don’t leave an unfolded pile of laundry at your feet!
- Unpaid bills. If you’re still receiving paper bills it can be distracting to have them sitting next to you while you try to concentrate on business ethics for class.
- Notes from another class. Don’t try to multitask in the middle of a reading assignment. Instead stick to one class and dedicate your full attention to it.
If the room you spend the most time studying in is visually distracting, too much artwork, books, or reminders of chores to be done, then find a new place to rest your computer and books. By eliminating the distractions you’ll have more success in burying your head in the books. Don’t forget to take breaks and fuel up with protein rich snacks!
By J. Mason
Online Learning Tips Editor
Ready When You Are
At American Public University, students are priority one. We are committed to providing quality education, superior student resources, and affordable tuition. In fact, while post-secondary tuition has risen sharply nationwide, the university continues to offer affordable tuition without sacrificing academic quality.