As an online student, it is important to be prepared on a weekly basis. You must do your best as you are setting an example to others that you are taking online learning seriously. Your instructor is aware of your other duties in your personal life, but he or she is not going to allow anything less than perfection and this is evident in their grading policy. As a student you are always working towards mastering your craft and becoming a professional in your field. If you have a plan that you make a point to conquer every week then the following five things must be accomplished in order to be successful.
1) Prepare a schedule – As hard as it seems to fit things into your day, a schedule will allow all the little parts to add up to the whole. Your instructor has prepared all of your assignments as building blocks for each other as your coursework builds on each course and so on. Plan your week so that you can take one small step at a time towards your destination.
2) Set up your environment — Clear an area or space to provide a clean start and a clear head. Allow room to stretch out and relax because you have a task ahead of you. Avoid distractions such as things from the present or past to steer you in the wrong direction.
3) Let your thoughts flow — This is all you need to get started with your online work. An open mind, open to the topic, will provide the best responses in your assignments. Use prior knowledge or background information to spearhead this endeavor. Using what you already know can help to set the stage and get your writing going.
4) Be on time – Once your thoughts are organized, you must turn posts and submissions in in a timely fashion. Get things in order and submit discussion posts early in the week so that others can see them. The longer your post is available to others the greater amount of feedback you’ll get back.
5) Make room for mistakes – This is not an option, it is a requirement. Mistakes are bound to happen. The school server may be down, or better yet, you may have your own personal computer issues. Try to submit assignments before the last minute to ensure that they get turned in. In addition to computer issues, you should provide room for comments from other students in each discussion post. You should reply back to everyone who posts in your discussion. They may have important information that could help you with the topic or assignment that you may not know about. Posting early also shows the instructor that you are committed. Also, if you submit your weekly assignment early, most likely your instructor will provide feedback to you so that you can get a better grade before it is graded.
By Trinita Gay
Online Learning Tips, Guest Contributor
Ready When You Are
At American Public University, students are priority one. We are committed to providing quality education, superior student resources, and affordable tuition. In fact, while post-secondary tuition has risen sharply nationwide, the university continues to offer affordable tuition without sacrificing academic quality.