By Ryan Laspina
Senior Specialist, Red Flags and External Reviews at APUS
The culmination of all your hard work is about to lead to graduation! While the term papers, tests and projects are behind you, there are still a handful of steps you need to follow to make sure you’re eligible to graduate with the rest of your class.
Each school has different graduation requirements, and American Public University System is no different. Luckily, APUS offers its students a “Graduation Checklist” in their student portal, so students know all the steps that they must take to graduate. Below is a quick synopsis of those steps:
- To find your Graduation Checklist, log into your student account and find the “My Graduation Info” hyperlink under the Records menu. After clicking on that link, you will see items you need to complete.
- You may not be required to complete every item in the checklist. Your program, your use of Federal Student Aid and so on will determine which items you need to complete.
- Anyone who utilizes FSA at the university has to complete exit counseling before graduating. Visit www.studentloans.gov for more information. Certain fields of study will require the student to complete a Major Field Test or Proficiency Profile as well. Make sure you fully understand your responsibilities.
- APUS staff will complete many items on the checklist. Once you submit a graduation application, APUS reviews three different items on the Checklist: Academic Audit, Finance Audit and Library Audit.
- If you complete all the academic requirements for graduation, our university staff marks the Academic Audit as “Cleared.” Next, APUS will conduct a Finance Audit to make sure that you do not owe money to the school. If not, the Finance Audit will be marked as “Cleared.” Lastly, our staff conducts a Library Audit to make sure you do not have any unreturned books. Once that item is marked as “Cleared” (assuming you have met all other requirements), you will receive confirmation that you are going to pass your Final Clearance. You will then officially graduate from the university.
- You will receive email confirmations along the way so you know your exact position in the checklist process.
Graduation is a cause for celebration, but just because you passed all your classes does not mean that the party can start immediately. Make sure you fully understand all of the items in your Graduation Checklist, and also know your responsibilities.
If you need any help, there are numerous representatives at APUS. Our staff is more than willing to assist you through the process for completing your graduation requirements.